Monday, July 14, 2008

Breezy

Youtube wouldn't let me embed, so this is from imeem.

Forever - Chris Brown

I'm a bit late on this one, but I actually kinda like this song. My only complaint is that the producer did too much to Chris' voice on the verses.

But there's been something about love songs for me lately...I can definitely appreciate a good love song. The chord pattern (4-1-5-2) on this song is SO difficult to hate, because it's always been a beautiful arrangement, wherever you hear it. The video...you really couldn't muck that up too much because the lyrics are pretty descriptive.

(Annoying musical jargon approaching)
[What's weird with this song though is that after the bridge, they tried to put the song in rounds--

you remember back in the day when you'd be in music class, and they'd have one group of people start singing a song, then they'd have the other group start singing the song maybe 4 counts after the first group started singing, so everyone was at a different part of the song? You remember...you know you remember.

--Anyway, they tried that here. Or something like it. The chord progression changed to a 1-5-2-4 progression, but Chris' vocals stayed on the 4-1-5-2. With the instrumental, and the fullness of the harmonies in the chorus, I'm not sure it worked out.
(end annoying musical jargon)

In lay men's terms, too much was going on and it clashed.

I will say, though, at least the producer was thinking, and experimenting. I just don't think it worked out the best it could.

It's a beautiful song though, minus that part.

No comments: